The following email has been sent to inform Lambeth residents about the increase in the terrorism threat level, by Tony Hirst who Chief Inspector of Operations in Lambeth for the Metropolitan Police:
You may be aware that the UK threat assessment level in relation to International terrorism has been raised to 'Severe', below are some key points that can be shared with communities and partners.
1. The threat level to the UK from international terrorism has been raised to SEVERE: an attack is highly likely.
2) This is related to the developments in Syria and Iraq where groups are planning an attack in the UK, not to specific communities.
3) UK policing has a variety of operational tactics that are regularly used to prepare and protect the public.
4) People can expect to see an increase in high visibility police activity around a variety of sites, sectors and communities.
5) Communities defeat terrorism. The public are urged to report suspicious activity. We are particularly concerned about those might be intending to, or who have returned from, fighting in Syria and Iraq.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me or your other Lambeth police contacts.
Could you each forward this message to other members of your respective organisations as you see fit.
Tony Hirst Ch.Inspector | Operations - Lambeth Borough.